Monday, November 12, 2007

Protecting Potters' Hands

As potters, we subject our hands to a good deal of abuse. Prolonged handling of clay and loading kilns, seems to just suck the moisture right out of my hands, sometimes to the point of being quite painful, especially if a crack develops. If your hands are out of commission, you can't make pots. I thought I would share some of the things I personally like to use to help maintain and protect my hands and fingers.

I have tried many kinds of hand creams to keep my hands from drying out and cracking over the years, but not very many actually penetrate the skin or do much good. The two ones I've had the best luck with are Corn Huskers Lotion and Bee Balm Lotion (BeeBalm is actually my favorite). Both can be bought at my local pharmacy, and the Bee Balm can even be bought through at least one of my pottery suppliers.

Its also unavoidable sometimes to get abrasions, cuts, scratches, hangnails, etc.. While an adhesive bandage works great under normal conditions to protect and keep a cut clean, it has a tendency to just be cumbersome and usually won't hold up or even stay on after a few minutes of throwing, let alone continue to keep bacteria out once it gets wet. And clay has bacteria.

Several years ago I was reading about a new product on the market called New Skin. It was a new kind of waterproof, flexible liquid bandage that you could just brush on like nail polish. As soon as I tried it, I was sold. While I don't think its recommended for big deep cuts, it seems to work great on scratches, minor cuts, etc., and is quite unobtrusive.

I also found these handy dandy little First Aid Cots in the bandage section of the pharmacy, right by the New Skin, bandaids, etc... They roll on like little finger condoms and can even go over a bandage, keeping your digit dry and clean. Much more localized coverage than a latex glove, although just as effective. They work great.

I also like to keep some little nail clippers at hand and around the wheel. They're handy for trimming bits off fast-growing nails when they get too long and start to gouge the clay, and are perfect for nipping off hangnails before they get out of hand.

5 comments:

Cynthia said...

Your blog is so current - I'm currently in the market for some type of balm or salve for my hands. It's that time of the year when my hands start cracking - especially since I'm in my studio nearly every day right now.

I'm test driving a balm from a local woman (and nurse at my daughter's school) who makes her own lotions and potions - she also uses bees wax and soy. We'll see though if it works... Otherwise I'll have to give this a try.

I have some of the finger cots - but hate using them.

Anne Webb said...

Hi Cynthia :)
I use the finger cots usually when a cut or crack is at its most vulnerable and hasn't healed over enough for me to comfortably work without one. Better than losing a day or two when production time is precious. Tried latex gloves but that was just too much unnecessary rubber and found it ...distracting.

Be interested to know how you make out with that new balm. I am always looking.

Pam McFadyen said...

I have heard about new skin before but haven't tried it yet. Thanks for the reminder! For a smelly treat, I have used whipt pudding from and Etsy seller. I use it throughout the day for a little treat but I'm sure its not as strong as those you have recommended.

Kim from Kansas said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

eucerin calming cream is amazing